Cooking Time: 5 hours
2 lbs. beef short ribs
3 sprigs thyme, fresh
3 sprigs oregano, fresh
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. garlic salt Garlicpeño Rub
1 tsp. dried ground jalapeño
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. dried ground roasted garlic
½ tbsp. ground green peppercorns
- Set up the grill (or smoker) for indirect heat at 225°F. Use
Hickory, pecan, or any fruitwood for smoking.
- Combine all Garlicpeño Rub ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Apply the seasoning rub evenly over the short ribs and place them on the
- Smoke for 1½ hours.
- Tear off a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil long enough to cover the short
ribs. Wrap the beef short ribs with fresh thyme and oregano in the foil.
- Braise for 3 hours until tender.
- Remove the beef short ribs from the smoker and rest until cool enough to
- On a cutting board, chop up the herbs taken from the foiled short ribs. Pour
the olive oil on the board and combine the herbs and oil.
- Place the beef short ribs meat side down on the cutting board. Make sure
the meat comes in contact with as much olive oil mixture as possible. Cut the
ribs into individual bones.
- Serve short ribs immediately.